Old May 16th 19, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Nearest near-miss?

Dan

Why are you raising STCs here? We've been over this many times. It does not matter there was no glider mention in the STC.

There was not *approval* for your install. Your A&P just submitted a 337 to the FAA following a simple set of instructions.

Again, for an ADS-B Out install in a type certified glider an STC is not be needed *as an STC* for to get approval for an install, it does not matter the STC does not cover a glider. It's only used to show that a particular pairing of an ADS-B Out GPS and Transponder have been previously approved.

You don't need or want an STC giving any more details for any install in a glider. What would that achieve? And no manufacturer is going to pay to develop one.

Forget ADS-B Out, there are no stupid STCs for any transponder install in any glider. Oh my God... how can we possibly have all those transponders installed without STCs?

If your A&P every says he/she needs an STC to install any avionics in a type certified glider run the **** away.

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 4:49:31 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
For a Standard category glider it was a big pain to install and get the
documentation correct and approved.Â* There's no provision for gliders in
the STC provided for the TN70.Â* It was also very expensive and the WAAS
GPS box is very large, nearly double the size of the TT22 remote box.Â*
Fortunately, there's plenty of room behind the Stemme's panel for the
hardware.Â* I haven't had a "close encounter" since installing a
transponder about 7 years ago.Â* The TN70 install was in Nov 2018, IIRC.

On 5/15/2019 11:17 AM, son_of_flubber wrote:
These anecdotes make me wonder. Has anyone ever installed ADS-B-out or TABS in gliders BEFORE having a near-collision? What were your reasons for taking the plunge?

I know that it is not uncommon to install transponders as a precaution before having a close call, but there seems to be more reluctance to install ADS-B-out and TABS even amongst people have ample disposable income. This is just my impression.

--
Dan, 5J