Old November 5th 03, 05:24 AM
Jake Donovan

Lockmart F35 is a single seater. The motioned mock up is just that. A mock
up. There are no plans to build a 2 seater unless it is a limited training
version but that isn't in the works.

PAX isn't getting their 35's at STRIKE for 3 more years. 7 of them. 4 VSTOL
and 3 Carrier birds.

The Superbug F's NFO's are renamed back to WSO's. The only RIOs left are in
the F-14 community.

On a note of the Tomcat - We took a VERY clean A+ (now a B model) to mach
on mil thrust only in the re-engine flight test program. Pretty impressive
given it was in the 1980s.

For all you Hornet fans, and I have plenty of Hornet time, maintenance is a
big plus but you have to temper that with the fact that ALL of the F-14's
tooling was ordered destroyed by the DoD years ago. Thus, serious lack of
spare parts and a nightmare upkeep. Makes you wonder what a program like
the Superbug would have looked like if it had been the F14. Range, Load
out......

And if memory serves me right, (this should get a few rises) VF31 took home
the trophy for the Best ATTACK squadron in the Navy a couple of years ago.

The F22 has also been mention in this thread. The F22 is getting ready to
hit the reserves and Air Guard as soon as the AF's F35's go on line. The AF
is finding it hard to justify its existence with the 35 program in place.
Guys at the 325th Fighter Wing at Tyndall who have both F22s and F15s report
the F15's are a 3 to 1 favorite in a 1V1, 2V2 over the F22. Might be
experience, might not be.

The B-2 is a bomber and wouldn't stand a chance in any arena with any
fighter, F16, F14, F15, F18.....

Pete is right about that second pair of eyes. You hear a lot of talk about
it but in real life( mine) the 2nd pair of eyes were much better spent on
the scope and systems as it lessened my load.

Jake

"Pechs1" wrote in message
jdata- I have read a statement by an F14 RIO that in the 90's that the

F14
was known as the "world's fastest or quickest aircraft" this may have
changed since some of the aircraft had their engines changed. Mind
you, he was saying this when he was in the Bravo version. BRBR

-110 engines did make a HUGE difference...but rmember the RIO was looking

at
perhaps the last tactical seat available in the F-14 for NFOs, so I am

sure a
lot of them really talked up the A/C..Good thing the F-18F came along or

these
guys would be SOL...and may be 'soon' anyway, Isn't the USN JSF single

seat??

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer