View Single Post
Old December 15th 19, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Tesla Model 3 and a glider

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 12:24:50 PM UTC-8, Mike N. wrote:
This is the critical point. Energy density, it is really the limiting factor of electric versus fossil fueled vehicles.

I'm really looking forward to new battery technology that can bring electric storage to be even relatively close to that of fossil fuels. Not to mention the battery deterioration, disposal, and replacement aspects.

I like leading edge technologies. I think Tesla has done great things to push the technology forward.

However I personally cannot afford the cost of being an early adopter of electric vehicles. Despite the the technogy advancement in e-vehicles made in the last 10 years, we are still in the infancy of this new breed of transportation. F

I am really waiting for a larger hybrid mini SUV platform to come to maturity.

Maybe you didn't get the memo, but auto manufacturers have tried and abandoned hybrid vehicles - they add a lot of cost for a small incremental benefit. The Tesla 100D already weighs in at a whooping 5400 lbs, about twice what an ICE sedan weighs. Adding an engine and transmission to that would bring it up to around 7000 lbs, more than my Super Duty F250 weighs.

Tom

Tom