Old December 16th 03, 05:52 PM
Model Flyer

"RobertR237" wrote in message
In article t9uCb.328993$Dw6.1107274@attbi_s02, "Jay Honeck"
writes:

No, I also use my real name, address and email address but that

doesn't give
anyone any information that is not available in a host of other

places, all of
which are easily obtained on almost anyone.

For several years I too used my real name and e-mail address, however
last year the amount of spam that I receive as a result of that
policy started to increase to unacceptable proportions. After a three
week period, having cleared my mail box on my ISP's server I found
over 1200 spam emails addressed to my; that's in only 3 weeks. This
promped me to change my working address and use every method that I
could think of to prevent that from attracting spam. The only spam
that I get now is through several NG's, uk.rec.aviation is the worst
amoung the ng's I read.

Last week I checked my old address mail box, there were so many
messages that mailwasher was unable to handle the quantity, I shall
have to ask my ISP to clean out my mail box as I don't want to bother
spending the time myself.

--
---
Cheers,

I *really* enjoy the new Visa commercials, with the guy's

voice-over on the
little old lady -- they're hilarious and really get the point

across about
the risks of identity theft. However, they *are* trying to sell

a product,
and (as a result) the cynic in me rises to the fore. I just have

to wonder
if this whole "identity theft" thing isn't a product of Madison

Avenue, once
again trying to fan the flames of our own paranoia, in an effort

to sell us
something?

Does anyone know a real person who has suffered this fate?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

What you must be more concerned with is giving out that information

which is
NOT readily available and which can be used to obtain phoney

documents. This
includes your social security number, place of birth, drivers

license numbers,
credit card numbers, passwords, and other personal information.

Even that may
not be enough to protect you from identity theft but in that case,

nothing may
be.

My best advice is to never give out personal information unless you

are
absolutely sure of who you are giving it tol. An example, never

give you
credit card number to someone who calls YOU or to any other

solicitation that
you receive such as an email reply. If you buy something over the

phone or
over the internet, make sure you searched out the item and not the

other way
around. Even then, double check the vendor.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)