View Single Post
Old March 29th 15, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
dhaluza
external usenet poster

Default Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 12:04:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to this group and last fall added a glider rating to my ASEL certificate.

I am planning to replace my car this summer and in anticipation of purchasing a glider someday, I would like to purchase a vehicle that would do a good job towing a glider. I also want it to get the best gas mileage that it can while still being a good tow vehicle. I don't want something that is marginal and will make long distance towing a stressful affair, but also don't want a vehicle that is overkill.

What is the typical range o gross weights of a single seat glider plus trailer?

Recommendations on a good tow vehicles?

Thanks for your help

Bill

The other thing mentioned was braking, and obviously more is better. You definitely want working surge brakes or better yet electric brakes on your trailer. Naturally trailer brakes will reduce your stopping distance, and that's a good thing. But it will also help keep things straight by applying brakes in the back, which will help keep the trailer from trying to pass the tow car in a panic stop.

As far as the tow car, bigger brakes are better. Many American light trucks and SUVs have relatively small brakes compared to European sedans. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you don't necessarily need a big engine to tow a glider trailer--if you need to slow down on the climbs it won't make a big difference in your travel time (especially if it saves you a refueling stop). But you may need to get the bigger engine to get the bigger brakes. So pay attention to that when picking your vehicle. It's not on the spec sheets, so you need to look at the different models, and if you see bigger front rotors, or rear discs vs. drums, I would take the more expensive model for towing.