Old March 29th 20, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Much Ado About Nothing

On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 11:28:10 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
To lift a title from The Bard and, since there's not much else going on
these days, and to give homage to Roseanne Roseannadana...

What's all this nonsense I keep hearing about CG hooks?

My first glider had a nose hook and it was easy to control on launch and
tow.Â* All the rest had CG hooks (only) and I never noticed a difference
either on take off or tow.Â* The only advantage I ever noticed about
either was on ground launch where the nose hook was at a distinct
disadvantage.

So, for me at least, a CG hook would be a must for any non-self-launch
glider.Â* I think that those who make a big bugaboo about CG hooks are
doing a disservice to gliding.

Let the games begin...

--
Dan, 5J

Well, I like the CG hook, I use it all the time even on self launches. I think I should write a book called, Nose Hooks For Idiots. Bob