Old March 29th 20, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Soaring already DOA for the season???

Dan Marotta wrote on 3/29/2020 10:03 AM:
I'm not a subscriber to WSJ (so I couldn't read the article), but my concern
throughout all of this is that nowhere have I seen, heard, or read a plausible
reason for these exceptional measures considering the death tolls from previous
epidemics and pandemics such as Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, etc.Â* Sure, I'm being
hygienic, and not joining public gatherings, but the death tolls from the above
mentioned diseases seem to be to have been much higher and there was never any
sort of panic like that we're experiencing now.

Please, someone, make some sense of it to me.Â* And giving me panic speeches about
how bad it /could/ be in light of experience with pandemics of the past 30 years
or so won't carry much weight.

On 3/28/2020 8:19 PM, Duster wrote:
A more tempered, but plausible, opinion from the WSJ that’s worth a read:

Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?
Current estimates about the Covid-19 fatality rate may be too high by orders of magnitude. A universal quarantine may not be worth the costs it imposes on the economy, community and individual mental and physical health. We should undertake immediate steps to evaluate the empirical basis of the current lockdowns.

I can tell you a little bit upfront:

-Ebola is not nearly as contagious, as it is passed by direct contact with bodily
fluids
-Swine flu H1N1 was not nearly as contagious, or as fatal

This article compares the pandemics from 1918 to now:

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...9-flu-pandemic