Old July 20th 03, 02:43 AM
Snowbird

Todd Pattist wrote in message . ..
Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:

Toks Desalu wrote:
If a pilot has current 3rd class medical, and then
begins taking antidepressants, you are required to void your certificate
VOLUNTARILY according to FAA regulation.

What FAA regulation would this be? Can you provide a reference?

There isn't one, except through 61.53 by a back door route.

I think there isn't one, period.

My understanding is: don't act as PIC while suffering from a medical
condition or taking medication which preclude safe flight or which
are not approved by FAA. When the condition is ameliorated and
the medication is out of one's system, go for it.

Your understanding is a bit off. The applicable FAR 61.53
only mentions safety if a medical is *not* required to act
as PIC (gliders, etc.) If a medical *is* required, the
standard is whether you can "meet the requirements for the
medical certificate."

I don't think my understanding is off a bit.

The standard is whether you can "meet the requirements for the
medical certificate", true.

If you can't, don't fly.

But that's not the issue.

The issue is, Toks claims you have to "void your medical
certificate voluntarily" and be re-examined and have a new
certificate issued when the condition ameliorates.

If the medical requirements prohibit granting you a
medical when you have the underlying condition , then you
can't fly an airplane, even if you are safe, regardless of
whether you are taking the medication.

No argument. But that's not the issue here.

I want to know where it's required that one "void one's
medical certificate", rather than simply refraining from
flying while unable to meet the requirements of the medical
certificate, and resuming flight when one can.

Cheers,
Sydney