Old January 1st 13, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Connecting my 2 Batteries to 1 Solar Panel

On 12/31/2012 6:49 PM, Dan G wrote:
I would like to connect my 2 8AH batteries to one Solar panel for
charging while the glider is in its trailer. I will use a controller
and I have 2 separate sockets in the glider-one per battery.

I thought to simply split the wires coming out of the controller to
the two batteries/sockets but I came across this:
http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/su...ller.01.EN.pdf,

Any suggestions?

It looks like it would work adequately for your 8 AH batteries. If not,
I suggest you use the technique they reference: two controllers, one for
each battery, but fed by a single PV panel:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/su...ries.01.EN.pdf

It's the technique I use in my trailer to charge the glider battery and
auxiliary battery in the front of the trailer. Seems to work well. The
advantage is the batteries will charge more quickly, and to the proper
voltage. Even so, it might not make much difference in the amount of
charge each one gets.

Alternatively, you could get a dual output controller, one output for
each battery.

email me)