Old October 7th 15, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 8:25:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
WB, I 'm glad you like winch launching. However, I do have just one tiny nit to pick just for the benefit of those not familiar with winch launch. Pilots don't "drop" the rope, they release it (or more likely, it auto-releases). Then the parachute opens preventing the rope from dropping too fast. That gives the winch operator plenty of time to wind in the rope all the way to the winch before it can hit the ground. There's usually less than 100' of rope left out when the winch stops.

If a winch is capable of it, the transmission can be shifted to overdrive and the 'chute ripped out of the sky at more than 100mph to minimize drift.. Of course, the operator has to be absolutely certain he can stop the drum before the 'chute is pulled through

Yes, most of the time we did just let it back release. I would often shift our winch (the Eagle Winch, now at Philadelphia) into second gear to recover the line. Usually could lay it down right in front of the winch. Worked even better after the steel cable was replaced with Spectra.