Old January 9th 04, 12:13 AM
John

"Bill Wolff" wrote in message

Feeling nostalgic... I installed FS 3, 5.1, and 98 again. I also have FS2,

but that one I have only runs on a Commodore 64/128. And
my FS3 came on a single 720KB floppy. And boy is the detail in this

version very barren! About only 8 buildings around Meigs
Downtown Chicago). Grant Park is just a yellow square, etc. And it uses

CGA graphics and the silly PC speaker (buzzer) for sound.

Anyway my question is about running MSDOS FS5.1 under Windows 2000. I got

it working under W98SE on this same machine. Although
under W98SE, FS5.1 complains when you set something (a display feature)

that requires expanded memory, that I don't have any
(although I have 256MB worth of it which 64MB available for DOS). But if I

go ahead and ignore the message, it seems to work just
fine anyway. Although the digitized sound can use either expanded or

conventional memory. And there are many warnings (in the
manuals and in the software) that under Windows that digitized sound may

crash if expanded memory is used. And it sure does.

Anyway back to Windows 2000. I guess I am not looking exactly how to do it

(as I can figure it out and I don't want people to waste
too much time on it), but I am just wondering if anybody has ever gotten

MSDOS FS 5.1 up and running under Windows 2000 ever? As the
requirements on the box states you need MSDOS 5 or higher. And Windows

2000/XP doesn't sport any real DOS (only through emulation).
Although the readme1.txt explains how to run under Windows 3.1, Windows

95, DR-DOS and OS/2 2.1 systems (and OS/2 doesn't sport a
real DOS either). Although I thought I saw something that mentioned about

Windows NT too. But I can't find it now. Maybe that was
for another FS version that I was thinking of.

Anyway playing around with MSDOS FS 5.1 under Windows 98SE isn't as bad as

I remembered. The graphics are better under FS98 of
course, but 5.1 is definitely still enjoyment to fly. And believe it or

not, the Sopwith has brakes under 5.1. grin Although it
didn't have the Bell heli yet in this version.

Bill

---

I've got FS5.1 loaded on a Windows 98SE and it flies off on me. I'm going
to load it on a second machine that has more ram & disk space to see what
happens.

I still have the original manual That might contain the info you are
looking for. Anyway, the good news for me is that you have been able to get
it going on 98SE. No. On initial review I did not find anything about
using DOS emulators in the manual. I'll keep looking, though.

There definitely are attractions in the FS5.1. Sometimes newer versions
make it harder to learn with the Gee Wiz technology that later editions have
added.

John