Old January 12th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah Anderson[_2_]

Default AoA keep it going!

Here are some links:

http://advanced-flight-systems.com/P...s/AOA/aoa.html

As mentioned, aircraft spruce catalogs this and another, vane based one:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ges/HCIaoa.php
or directly, http://www.hciaviation.com/prod-aoa-a.shtml

And yes, I'd be interested in how well any of these actually work in gliders.
It's not clear the first one has enough resolution for performance info, for example.

--Sarah

Pete Brown wrote:
Eric Greenwell and Bill Daniels wrote:

I'd love to have a quality AOA indicator to make those landings
easier and safer.

It's more than an issue of safety, an AOA indicator will allow you to
optimize flight in all configurations including circling flight at
different wing loadings. The use and construction of such a device, aka
a lift coefficient meter, was discussed in an article by Daniel J.
Altstatt in Soaring Magazine March, 1975, page 22. No doubt a modern
electronic instrument is now feasible.

Pete Brown

What did you think of this idea from my post:

I suggest 5 to 10 proponents of AOA meters, and other interested
pilots, buy some AOA meters (like from Safeflight, DG , Aircraft
Spruce) as a group. This will reduce the cost for each pilot to try
several AOA meters. Have each member of the group try each of the
meter(s) for while, then report their experiences.

Someone has to try some these devices in gliders, so we have some data
that applies to our sport. As the primary promoter of the value of an
AOA gauge, you seem to be the obvious choice to lead an effort that
proves the value. At that point, a few of the clever people in the
sport will likely develop units more suited to gliders, and maybe
bring the cost down.

There are units available, but I don't see anyone buying and using
them. That suggests to me that, while we all agree it's probably a
good idea, we don't think it's good enough to spend the $500-$2000 to
actually buy and install one. So, someone has to just do it and show
the results to us.