Old November 18th 03, 02:06 PM
Kevin Brooks

Default China's Chengdu J-10 Fighter - Big Trouble?

Mary Shafer wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:01:13 GMT, (Thom)
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:23:37 +0000, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

It was designed as a bomber interceptor and adapted to be a recce bird.

as are 99% of recon birds

Like the A-12 and U-2? Or J-STARS? Nimrod?

Mary

J-STARS and Nimrod are not the best of examples; the first is
configured into a 707 airframe, the second is a growth/adaptation of
the old Comet. U-2 is better, but from what I have read even it had
its genesis of sorts in a fighter design, with the fuselage owing
quite a bit to the F-104. Your best example of a recon-origin design
is the A-12, which ironically would later morph into the YF-12.
Another recon-origin design is the Schweizer 2-37, but even it has a
heritage of sorts in powered gliders designed for training (IIRC the
USAFA has/had some Schweizer powered gliders). I suspect the poster's
estimate of 99% is not too far off, unless you take it to the extreme
and consider only interceptor/fighter origins. A glance through a list
of past and present recon aircraft will show that the vast majority
began as other platforms and were adapted to recon work--see
http://www.spyflight.co.uk/main.htm .

Brooks