Old December 31st 03, 10:39 PM
William Baird

LukeCampbell wrote in message
Oh. My reading was that it could operate at full power (about 100 kW
CW) for several seconds, and then had to be shut off to cool. Since I'm
not actually working on the beasty, though, I can't say if my reading is
correct or not.

They're pulsed lasers, iirc. The first version, using the
flash lamps, has to be. Flash lamps don't give a continuous
pumping effect. Reading from what both HELSTF and LLNL has
said, the LED pumped version is a follow-on. The laser guys
are just as excited about the pulsed effects as we are. Rapid
thermal cook-off takes a lot longer (theoretically) and doesn't
work in every situation.

Will

Luke

--
William P Baird Do you know why the road less traveled by
Speaking for me has so few sightseers? Normally, there