Old February 5th 14, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Stop Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Operations Within The National Airspace System

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 23:40:12 GMT, Skywise wrote:

Please be careful when defining what you want and don't
want. The UAV regulations have an impact on "hobby" R/C
flying operations.

I agree with your concerns about the big UAV's and 'real'
airplanes. But I don't want the legit r/c hobby impacted
by overzealous and illdefined kneejerk regulations.

I haven't flown r/c for a few years due to lack of $$$,
so I don't know the current status, but a few years ago
there was major concern that the then proposed FAA regs
for UAV would eliminate R/C flying because technically
an r/c airplane is a UAV.

Brian

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your comments.

It would seem you are correct about the impact of UAV/UAS regulations on
low-level UAS operations:

Beer Delivery By Drone Stopped By FAA

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/101/2732-full.html?ET=avweb:e2732:218609a:&st=email#221369A
Minnesota brewery's airborne solution to the preventable yet apparently
prevalent problem of running out of beer while ice fishing has been shot
down by the FAA. Lakemaid Brewery's clever use of a six-rotor drone to
whisk the frosty brews to their icebound customers runs afoul of the
agency's current ban on the commercial use of unmanned aircraft.

It is my understanding, that currently, non-commercial UAS operations below
400' AGL are okay with the FAA, and as long as they're outside of Class A, B,
C, D, and E airspace, I have no problem with that.

But when moneyed military-profiteer interests succeed in bullying the FAA to
relax their most basic safety regulations, See-And-Avoid, the hazard they
create to human-occupied flights is dangerous, and unacceptable. I'm sure
you'd feel the same way if a flight your family was aboard was downed by a MAC
with a UAS unable to comply with regulations.

Please take a moment to make our skies safer, and sign the petition at this
link: http://chn.ge/1enQSPd.

Best regards,
Larry