Old December 12th 04, 03:24 PM
Chris

wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:22:53 -0000, "Chris" wrote:

"G. Sylvester" wrote in message
y.com...
congrats on passing. I'm coming to final part of my traniing and I
can't
wait.

In the
morning, it was still raining with a low ceiling. Since the
checkride needs
to be flown in VFR conditions, we had to cancel and reschedule the
checkride.

I'm fairly certain you can take the checkride in IMC. Of course it is
also up to the DPE. I'm sure you need VMC for the 'bad attitude' parts
but otherwise why not shoot approaches in IMC. If he doesn't
feel confident to pass you under the hood, do you think he's going to
sign you off solo?

The pilot on test is PIC and legally can only fly in VMC. The DPE is
basically an intelligent passenger

Are you suggesting that the DPE could not be PIC if he and the
applicant agreed for him to be?

No I am not suggesting that but the practice is not recommended by the FAA
as per the examiners handbook;

9. STATUS OF EXAMINERS DURING PRACTICAL TESTS. An examiner conducts a
practical test to observe and evaluate an applicant's ability to perform the
procedures and maneuvers required for the certificate or rating sought. The
examiner is not PIC of the aircraft during a practical test unless acting in
that capacity by prior arrangement with the applicant or other PIC of the
flight.
The FAA does not recommend that an examiner agree to act as PIC of a flight
during a practical test.

( http://av-info.faa.gov/data/staticdocs/8710-3c.pdf ) page 54

That does suggest that flying in IMC is not what should happen on an
instrument checkride.