Old January 12th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot

Default Yaw control in a tandem rotor helo?

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:54:06 -0800, Richard Riley
wrote:

I've been working with a conventionally configured helicopter for a
few months and this suddenly started eating my brain.

In a 2 rotor helicopter you are countering the torque of one rotor
with the other rotor. But how do you do a pedal turn? In a coaxial
I'd think you'd increase the pitch of once set of blades and decrease
the other. But what do you do in a tandem, like a CH-46? Increase
the pitch, you get more torque, but you also get more lift, so the
aircraft would move forward or backward -

Any helo pilots out there that can set me straight?

if you had a stick for each rotor you would move the sticks sideways
in opposite directions a little.
the rudders probably do just that.

Stealth Pilot