Old March 11th 04, 02:33 PM
Andrew Boyd

Roger Halstead wrote:

"Please maintain speed as long as possible"

He remarked later that had he flown the ILS at *that* speed we'd have
stopped some where out in the bean field off the other end of the
runway. :-))

It depends upon the aircraft. Some of the most experienced airshow
performers, such as Sean Tucker, Skip Stewart, Freddy Cabanas, etc
take advantage of the their wide-chord three-bladed propellors to make
high speed straight-in approaches (eg 180 - 200 mph) to very short
final. Then, the throttle goes to idle, the drag of the prop pushes
you forward into your shoulder harness, and you rapidly slow to a
normal
approach speed (eg 120 mph) for touchdown.

Flying cross-country with two Pitts S-2B's, what I've found works
well for large airports is side-by-side at a gentle 150 mph on the
glidepath, then as you get quite close, stay a bit high, then chop
the throttle and push the nose down so you can see the runway. It
makes for a bit of a rapid flare, but you get both aircraft on (and
off) the runway in a most expeditious manner.

--
ATP
http://www.pittspecials.com/images/oz_hh.jpg