Old September 11th 05, 11:07 PM
Hilton

Andrew wrote:
Hilton wrote:

I find it highly 'optimistic' that pilot would use a Pocket PC's
instrument chart in flight as their primary which is what most pilot

tend
to say; e.g. "I don't always have my paper charts", or "This is

cheaper",
etc...

With what are you comparing the use of a palmtop for plate display in your
determination that it is unsafe? A complete lack of plates? Or having

all
the necessary paper plates?

Even if the latter, why do you view the palmtop as less safe? Size of the
display? Reliability of the device? Something else?

What would the electronic device need to be/do/have/etc. for you to

consider
it at least equally safe as paper?

I just want to be able to see all the information clearly - simple as that.
During an approach, you're looking at the top for the frequencies, at the
bottom for the minimums and missed instructions, also looking at the chart
for step downs, intersections, VOR frequencies, radials etc etc etc.
Basically, I believe that during an approach, a pilot is referencing the
*entire* plate and I have to assume that the added task of scrolling on a
small device while in IMC on an approach is adding an unnecessary
task/distraction.

Hilton