Old April 19th 17, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

RAS is rapidly becoming "The World According to King Sean."

I am getting tired of it. Sean competes (and pretty well, so kudos.) But he consistently disparages everybody that does not compete, insults anyone with a different opinion than his and insists that "The SSA" use its limited resources to satisfy his demand that "Real-Time Tracking" be required at all contests. Fine, but why does the 98% of the SSA membership have to fund this for the benefit of the 2% that fly contests?

His statement that, without real-time tracking at contests, the effort that went into development of Glideport.aero was "wasted" is an insult to anybody (including myself) that uses Glideport.aero to check on the status of some pilots I know are flying, crews and loved ones that are concerned with the whereabouts of some of our friends during the flying day. This is especially important as the day winds down and there hasn't been any radio contact for a while.

And he needs to realize that his assertion that the development of Glideport.aero was "wasted" is an especially egregious insult to the actual developers of the system. Sean may think it was developed solely as a contest aid, but somehow I doubt it was. In the real world, (i.e. non-competition) it is a valuable tool and convenience for the majority of pilots and crews who use it during daily (i.e., non-competition) flying.