Old February 17th 21, 09:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default A Different Chute Question

You might want to contact the Akaflieg Braunschweig. I think the original SB7 is still flown by a group of former members.
I don't remember it to have trailing edge brakes though, but I've flown it only once, and that was30+ years ago.

Le mercredi 17 février 2021 Ã* 07:20:41 UTC+1, Steve Leonard a écritÂ*:
Thank you for the link, Stéphane. I wonder how many Elfe's got the shark mouth painted on the nose? I have a "trading card" with an Elfe with the shark mouth on it.

John, the plane is question is an Akaflieg Braunschweig SB-7. There are two handles in the cockpit for operating the chute. There is the deploy, which drops the chute cover (bottom of the rudder) with the chute. The chute is probably a 1.3 meter diameter, ribbon type chute. There is a second handle, on the opposite side of the cockpit, which allows you to jettison the chute if it is making too much drag and you will come up short if you don't do something.

The particular SB-7 also has trailing edge dive brakes like what Irv Prue used on the Prue Standard. They are also like what is used on the Elfe. Hinged on the upper surface at roughly 90% chord, the lower surface leading edge is at about 80% chord. So, sort of like an inverted SH trailing edge air brake. But it doesn't go from wing root to aileron, but is only about 6 feet long.

I am hoping to get information on the type of fitting that was on the end of the rope or lines that connect the chute to the airframe. I need to make a new cover/lower rudder, as the original appears to have been lost somewhere in the 30+ years since it last flew. Unfortunately, so has the drag chute. Would be nice to know how to make something so I could have the drag chute available.

Steve Leonard