Old August 26th 19, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Tow plane types/mods for high density altitude glider towing

On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 9:30:29 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 11:50:40 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:

I only consume 1/2 gallon to launch my ASH31Mi motorglider to 3kft (the same was true for the 26e and DG400, and most every other self-launcher that I can think of, well maybe not the Space Shuttle). So, for a 4 hour flight my "burn rate" is 1 pint per hour.

Self-launch gliders are obviously appealing, but I'm curious about their limitations wrt density altitude and turbulence.

What is your climb rate in your typical density altitude?

At 2000 ft DA it is 500 ft/min; at 9000+ DA it is 300 ft/min. Always seeking lift, so this is mixed.

Do you ever launch in turbulent conditions with lots of sink?

Not with lots of sink - try to launch when there is lift.

What density altitude leads you to cancel your flight?

None.

What is the highest density altitude that you have launched in?

9600 ft.