Old August 13th 03, 09:17 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
The FAA recently came by to inspect our rental PA-28-181 Archer.
We asked for ID, the two inspectors provided it, and they
went through the books and papers and placards.

The only deficiency was a missing "compass correction card."
We called the owner, and he described where it was (on the
panel, not below the compass). That was it, and they left.

A week later the FAA sent us a letter saying the plane had
passed just fine and thanking us for being cooperative.

I wonder how a 2-33 would fare in the same inspection.
The only required equipment at the time of manufacture
was an ASI (if one believes the dog-eared POH). But the
part 91 VFR rules currently want an altimeter and
compass as well.

I must say I would be a bit taken aback if I was
in line for launch and was pulled off the line for a
missing compass correction card.

Mark Boyd

TRIVIA TO FOLLOW

P.S. The Taylorcraft BC-12D was certified for IFR flight
using only needle, ball, and airspeed (see the POH).
But current part 91 IFR rules obviously require more.

Some gliders also say "cloud flying permitted" in
the POH. I'd consider it a no-no, but I suppose
a very rich person could install the part 91 required
equipment to make a glider IFR. I've gotten blocks
of airspace and altitude before in a power plane,
so maybe this could be done legally, but what a hassle!
I suspect there are quite a few glider pilots that
cloud fly occasionally well away from airways and
airspace. I have heard of one midair between two
gliders in the clouds, however, where both circled in
a thermal. Ouch!

There have been some IFR equipped gliders (IIRC, Carl Herold's old Nimbus
was so equipped and flown under IFR frequently. Don't know if his newer one
is so equipped). WRT the collision, perhaps you are referring to the
mid-air in cloud at the World's in the former Yugoslavia, though there may
be others.

Having flown in clouds in the UK in both thermal and wave, I found it both
an interesting and exciting aspect of soaring. FWIW, when the UK pilots fly
comps on the Continent, they have to remove their Bohli compasses, in
addition to any horizon and T/S.

Frank Whiteley