Old October 22nd 04, 04:19 PM
Howard Nelson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Howard Nelson" wrote in message
m...

Actually our local controllers (if sierra approach can be called local)
are
pretty much on top of this since what they issue is: "Cleared to xxxx

via
xxx departure. Climb to and maintain xxxx. If not in VFR conditions by
xxxxx
maintain xxxxx and report." No VFR ON TOP in their clearances.

But there should be a VFR-on-top in a VFR-on-top clearance.

I guess my point is this is not a VFR ON TOP clearance. This is an IFR
clearance to a local waypoint with an altitude limit. If I was ever still in
IFR conditions then I am sure I would be given a vector or hold and asked
what are my intentions. Here the conditions are very predictable most of the
year. Thick stratus from near ground to 2000 ft. within couple of miles of
the coast so I always know I will break out and not have clouds inland for a
couple hundred nautical miles. If the weather along my proposed route were
predicted to be IFR then I would file and request an IFR clearance for the
entire route of flight.
Howard

---