Old November 26th 12, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

Default Capacity flask tube length

Time for another "in the old days" story. Many years ago when
diaphragm or bellows TE compensation was common (e.g., PZL,
Schuemann), tuning the capacity of the bottle and tubing to the
compensator was necessary. I had a Schuemann TE/netto compensator that
I loved, but had to mount it behind the cockpit. Since it incorporated
a .45l flask, I used much smaller diameter tubing to run to the vario
(no problems with delays). Others who had room to mount the
compensator near the vario would coil up many feet of the standard
instrument tubing to add capacity. The amount by which all of this
affected the accuracy of the vario was insignificant compared with the
effect on TE compensation. That's no longer an issue with TE probes so
I doubt you will be able to see any difference.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA