Old October 6th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RK Henry

Default Cherokee Strut Access Plugs

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:37:40 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

We have been having trouble getting decent replacements for the above, which
pop into the holes in the top of the wing to allow the main gear struts to
be pressurized. Our mechanic uses 1 1/2" plastic (Polypropylene, I think)
hole plugs from McMaster Carr, but they don't seem to stay in our wing.

I've been trying to avoid losing mine by gluing them in with silicone.
A bead of white silicone isn't noticeable on a white airplane, and
it's easily breached if someone really needs to get the plug out to
service the strut. It also helps keep water out.

I had to replace one plug with a Piper part. It came with a little
rubber O-ring that disintegrated after a few months, and I noticed
that the area around the strut valve was flooded with rainwater.
That's when I started gluing them in with silicone. I haven't lost any
since.

RK Henry