Old September 19th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Default Sunglasses for soaring

Forest Baskett wrote:
At 15:48 19 September 2007, Brent Mayes wrote:
I guess this is a stupid question, but why are non
polarized lenses better for soaring?

Brent Mayes

Polarized lenses will give better contrast between
clouds and blue sky.

Also better contrast between gliders and the blue sky.

They also filter out the polarized
reflections from horizontal wings. I prefer to see
those flashes from the wings of other planes so I don't
use polarized lenses in the air. I used to use them
for driving until I got a car with a heads up display.
Now I just use than on the water, where they are wonderful.

Forest