View Single Post
Old June 26th 19, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Ventus rigging advice, please?

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 2:00:05 AM UTC-7, John McLaughlin wrote:
Thanks very much for the advice, everyone. I'll try all of it, but I'm
especially keen to see how 'right wing first' goes.

There was a similar thread about a year ago on this same Ventus topic.

Alignment is key: no amount of pushing will overcome a small misalignment. Wings will slide on fairly easily when the alignment is right.
Alignment relies on visual clues. Most gliders are not designed to make this easy.
I like 'right wing first' for the Ventus also (slightly better view of alignment inside fus).
Keep fuselage accurately upright (don't let it rotate in the cradle). Look at the fin. A small rotation means the wing heights are very uneven.
It helps to leave the first wing out ½", so second wing pin alignment to first wing can be seen in the gap.
When the first wing is fully in, tape it in to help it not move out again. Also when rigged, put a piece of tape with pen mark on spars inside the fus to indicate vertical alignment on next rig.
Look at the uniformity and equality of the gaps between fus and wing roots,fore and aft, top and bottom, to aid alignment
Although rigging aids remove all the heavy lifting, one helper is ENORMOUSLY useful to 'wiggle and push' on the other wingtip. In solo rigging, there's a chance of 'getting stuck'. If I don't have a helper present, I have people I can phone for assistance.
An eccentric tool is very useful for the last ¼"
The control stick must be free to move and roughly central (don't let seat back prevent it moving)
Flap lever should be free to move (plastic card beside lever) and rigging aids must not prevent flaps moving. Airbrake lever unlocked and free.
Cooling the main pin may help a little (it contracts in diameter very slightly). In ziplock bag in cooler.
One needs to be fairly physically limber. Be under 40.
Rig before it gets hot or windy. Most rigging aids don't roll well on grass. They all have deficiencies to watch out for.
The more you rig, the easier it becomes, I'm told.
Some younger pilots rig every morning and make it look easy. Personally, after rigging, taping, packing rigging aids away, I'm exhausted and need to rest for a few hours.
If you have a Cobra trailer, be sure to put a safety pin in one clamshell strut. If you don't know about this, find out.