Old June 27th 19, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Ventus rigging advice, please?

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 13:56:05 -0700, krasw wrote:

Nope, it's Schempp.

Not even that. Its single pin vs two pin spar designs. I've flown and
rigged both, single pin (Discus, Libelle, SZD Junior) and two-pin
(Pegase, ASW-20).

For my money a two-pin system is easier to rig because, once both wings
are fully home on the drag pins its just a matter of moving a tip up or
down until the first wing pin slips in. Then the second pin usually just
slides in without fuss.

By contrast, with a single pin system you have six or seven pins to line
up exactly (drag pins on both wings plus the two or three spigots on the
spar ends) before both wings will fit far enough in for you to even think
of putting the main pin in. This often involves considerable faffing
about and strange mutterings. Then the main pin goes in without any
trouble. FWIW Libelles and Kestrels can be easier to rig than SH gliders
because all pins and sockets are out in the open.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org