Old July 22nd 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Wanted urgently: A DAR-T that is prepared to help

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 5:33:11 AM UTC-5, Ross wrote:
I have purchased a sailplane in the US and am struggling with German authorities to get it certified due to their requirements.
The aircraft in question hasn't flown for 8 years and is not airworthy and I require a statement from a DAR-T saying just that.
Is there anyone that can help me on this?

I'm confused (no surprise there) about what the problem is (and/or ignorant). I get that you bought a glider located in the US. I am filled with questions.

1) What model glider is it? Why is it not airworthy? Where is it currently located? Where are you located?
2) I don't get why a DAR-T is involved. What certificate is needed? To get the ship (type?) certificated? Isn't it already (type) certificated?
3) Is the glider defective/broken/etc or just out of annual? I assume just out of annual. Then find an IA and get it inspected and signed off (which could help smooth some EASA waves).
4) If it needs repair then get it repaired in the US and signed off as airworthy (which could help smooth some EASA waves).

And of course CAVEAT EMPTOR! EASA can be a royal PITA (and we think that the FAA is bad).

- John