Old July 22nd 19, 07:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Default Wanted urgently: A DAR-T that is prepared to help

Hi John,
ok, here come all your answers

1) What model glider is it? Why is it not airworthy? Where is it currently located? Where are you located?
It is an LS8T. One of several that were prototypes and do not conform to the current type certificate. It hasn't been flown for 9 years, no maintenance, no ads no TMs no engine work. So it is not airworthy. The glider is now in Germany in my workshop

2) I don't get why a DAR-T is involved. What certificate is needed? To get the ship (type?) certificated? Isn't it already (type) certificated?

There are several methods to get a glider on the EU register. An Export CofA is nice, but not possible in this case as it was not conforming to type certificate and was on the experimental catagory in the US.
Option 2 is a statement from an inspector in the USA. I have one of these, but the LBA now claim it must be from a DAR-T and a normal inspector is not qualified to make such a statement about airworthiness. They don't care if it is airworthy or not, just need a signature.

3) Is the glider defective/broken/etc or just out of annual? I assume just out of annual. Then find an IA and get it inspected and signed off (which could help smooth some EASA waves).

That is difficult now as the glider is no longer on the US register.
If I really have to I will go full circle and put it back on the register to get it certified.

4) If it needs repair then get it repaired in the US and signed off as airworthy (which could help smooth some EASA waves).

It doesn't need repair as such. I have now had the work done at DG and now it conforms to type certificate.

And of course CAVEAT EMPTOR! EASA can be a royal PITA (and we think that the FAA is bad).

Tell me something I don't know

Ross