View Single Post
Old October 4th 17, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default ATC Privatization, HR 2997

Received this morning... see below. Anyone know the issues, particularly the flip side? Thx.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

Dear Evan,

I am writing to ask if you could please take a few minutes and call your representative in Congress, THIS WEEK! If you have already called, please call again and let them know that you oppose HR 2997. This is vital as we fight to protect our freedom to fly.

I know you have heard from me on a couple of occasions over the last few months about HR 2997, a bill that would hand over our air traffic control system to the airlines. And now, once again, supporters of the planned proposal are planning to schedule the bill for a vote next week in the U.S House of Representatives, the 11th of October

Your voice is critical in this fight. Privatization proponents are making calls and twisting arms every day to gain support. We must remain vigilant, which is why I am asking you to please take a few minutes and contact Congresswoman Ann Kuster and voice your strong opposition to HR 2997. You can reach them at (202) 225-5206

Here are some talking points to use when you call:

I am a constituent and I oppose HR 2997.
HR 2997 simply hands over our Air Traffic Control system to a board controlled by the airlines and special interests.
This legislation will not reduce delays – 80% of delays today are caused by the airlines (crew scheduling, flight scheduling, maintenance), and weather events.
We have the largest, safest, and most efficient air traffic system in the world.
This proposal is risky and has many unintended consequences.
According to the Congressional Budget Office, HR 2997 will add $100 billion dollars to the deficit.
The American Conservative Union foundation says this is not privatization and has requested the bill be pulled.
The General Accountability Office says that this transition will slow modernization of our air traffic control system.
The Congressional Research Service says that HR 2997 is most likely unconstitutional.
Nearly 200 General Aviation organizations, small airports, mayors, unions, conservative groups, and many others oppose HR 2997.

Thanks for your time and your support!

Mark Baker, President & CEO Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association