Old May 30th 10, 08:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Fed: Planes flying in "commercial" airspace must get GPS

writes:

Minimizing the effects of jamming for anything other than a military grade,
high power jammer is a fairly trivial problem but civilians have no interest
as it is in the real civilian world a non problem not worth spending a single
dime.

That's the way people usually feel until someone is killed, then they
overreact.

Yeah, and anyone can make a big bomb and blow up a building.

The response to both would be the same.

The fact that it can be done doesn't mean that the risk should be disregarded.

Which is but one reason civilian jamming is a non problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by civilians. I suppose terrorists or troublemakers
would not necessarily be active members of any military organization.

What makes you think that if there were a solar flare large enough to "knock
them all out at once" there would even be a functioning power grid?

They don't have to all be knocked out at once.