Old January 31st 12, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Flarm with Firmware 1.20 update

On Jan 30, 7:31*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
Thanks, Luke and Dave

I'm still thinking this over and trying to minimize clutter in my cockpit..
Currently the only thing appended to the panel is an Android on a flex
mount. *If there is, indeed, a blind mount box which can be interfaced via
Bluetooth to the Android (XCSoar has configuration pages for Flarm), then I
could hopefully have the alerts displayed on XCSoar. *I'd then have a clean
panel with no obstructions to outside scan.

I would hope this blind mounted box (brick?) could be had without having to
purchase a display, which I wouldn't need.

Dan, the quick answer is no, you have to have the PowerFLARM brick
display on your panel; it has the controls for the device on it.
Please spend some time on Paul Remde's site and learn more about the
device. You can send data to your droid so it will show FLARM traffic
on the moving map, but it probably doesn't send Mode S, ADS-B, or Mode
A/C warnings.

I have an LS6 with a small panel - and I can find a place for the
small PF display. I'll even cover my backup vario and compass if
necessary - it's that much more important, IMHO. Don't know what kind
of glider you fly, but seriously doubt there isn't a good place to
mount it.

Since you have already spent the $3K for your Trig (nice!), as others
have said the PowerFLARM makes the perfect complement in that it shows
YOU the traffic around you, including Joe Dentist in his Cirrus,
squawking 1200 VFR and not talking to anybody, heads down playing with
his shiny toys. It's only a big sky until the moment someone hits
you....

Cheers,

Kirk
66