Old July 14th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Default Use of FLaps in emergency situations

Tman wrote:

1 - Nice mostly stabilized approach, just a little steeper than the 3
deg VASI glideslope, 70K, 20 deg flaps, landing not assured yet, aiming
for the numbers since it is a shorter runway. Downdraft, windshear,
whatever makes me sink faster, so I push in the throttle... and the damn
engine sputters and quits.

I would retract flaps to 10 degrees while pitching as appropriate to
establish or hold best glide speed. *IF* you can hold best glide speed
and make the runway with the flaps fully retracted, it's better to do
that than keep in 10 degrees and hit the fence.

If I was a little further out and wanted to stretch the glide more, I
think I'd accelerate to ~65K, and then pull all the flaps in as a last
step. With plans to dump them back out if the landing will be a crash,
i.e. won't make the runway.

Pretty much.

2- Normal departure, 55K rotate, accelerate to Vy (~80K) when climbing
out of ground effect. For some reason, it's climbing like a dog, and
not sure going to clear obstructions.
First reaction: Slow down, just a bit, say 70 knots bringing one closer
to Vx to steepen the slope.

That's one way of expressing it, but an examiner or instructor would
think of it in terms of increasing pitch and (hopefully) rate of climb,
rather than slowing down.

Full power, mixture rich, carb heat off, MAGNETOS - BOTH... the latter
comes from personal experience... Then check your flap setting to make
sure they weren't dumped inadvertently.

By the time you roll out you've already checked the POH recommendation
for Vx, so you'll know immediately whether to set flaps for Vx. (You
probably will.)

You also already know whether it's a better idea to chop the power and
land on your remaining runway and risk hitting something relatively
slowly on the ground than at Vx 40 or 50 feet AGL.

-c