Old April 19th 19, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Some LiFePO4 Battery Testing Results Manual and Automated

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 12:15:38 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 9:58:40 PM UTC-4, John DeRosa OHM Ω
Anyone else tested their batteries in this same way? What are your results?

I test my LFP battery annually on a cheap multimode RC battery charger with coulombmeter. My six year old Bioenno 12 AH battery is now down to 11 AH capacity.

T8

I got the tip from T8 and got the iMax B6 charger/discharger. It is a very versatile device (multiple chemistries and voltages) and only costs about $30. The fastest it can discharge a 12-14V battery is at 0.4A due to its heat dissipation rate limit (automatically set). But that's close enough to real-life glider usage to give a good indication of the battery capacity. It's also good for charging the battery (whether SLA or LiFePO4), and every time you use it for charging you can see at what voltage it starts at and how many AH it put in by the time it ends.