Old December 27th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Todd W. Deckard

Default spins from coordinated flight

For the purposes of my question I am referring to coordinated as:

If the horizontal component of lift is exactly equal and opposite the
apparent centrifugal force (a coordinated
turn). The pilot flying by the "seat of his or her pants" feels no skid or
slip with the seat cushion.

In your knife edge demonstration you could measure this if you rotated the
ball inclinometer 90 degrees.
I *believe* it would show you were in coordinated flight.

The Websters definition has merit for you when trying to reinforce a
fundamental learning objective
but I was trying to drive to a very specific question. Apparantly with that
I mis used "yaw"

Todd

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

Depending on the instructor, you either learn that coordinated flight is
with the ball always in the center, or you can be taught that you are
coordinated when the control pressures are applied in the exact amount
necessary to place the airplane in the sky at the exact configuration
required at any instant in time.

I prefer the latter definition and have taught my students this way for
many years.

--
Dudley Henriques