Old April 10th 17, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Before encouraging a Flarm-based tracking system for the US, would it not be a good idea to determine if an adsb-based system would be better?

I've been asking this question myself all the time. I keep following the discussion on the subject here on r.a.s. and many other places. While I accept that several low L/D gliders with no electrical system, no radio, and flying basically locally around airports marked on the charts as having glider operations should be left in peace, I don't understand why we are so lax about safety and insist on being invisible in the ADS-B system. The cost? Yes, it's still high at the moment, but the prices go down and will continue to do so as we get closer to the year 2020. Parachutes aren't cheap, either, but most (all?) private glider pilots have them. I saw the prices of modern computer systems from different manufacturers at the last Convention in Greenville, SC: the range of $4-8k caused no scandal or uproar. At this point of time with ADS-B equipped planes swarming around us and growing in number, is it really worth investing time and cash in totally (almost, one-way)separatistic systems? IMHO the answer is NO.

This said, I believe, however, it's worth not to rush and wait these next 2-3 years till the deadline, as there MUST be new systems offered on the market for the light category aircrafts and all kinds of awkward flying object like drones. The choice will certainly not shrink.

I know, I know: this thread is about tracking - but the leap between ADS-B and tracking seems to be a very short one.

Tom BravoMike