Old December 31st 17, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default SSA 2018 Rules Finish Penalty

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 5:43:42 PM UTC-5, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 2:37:53 PM UTC-7, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 4:21:38 PM UTC-5, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 1:52:20 PM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

Here is my observation. Based on what I remember from the poll, majority of pilots voted for adopting FAI rules, yet the rules committee decided to study the issue instead of adopting the rules. Why not adopt the FAI rules for one of the contests this coming year. I am puzzled by this development. Why do we need to have a study if pilots already said they wanted the FAI rules?

Direct paste and copy.... it's up on the SSA site also.

10/19/2017 2017 SSA Pilot Opinion Poll Results

Do you favor a wholesale move to FAI rules?
Yes 29%
No 67%

5.1c Comments on a wholesale move to FAI rules: 42%

5.2 Do you favor a gradual adoption of FAI contest rules?
Yes 37%
No 59%

5.3 Do you favor retaining US contest rules as separate from FAI rules.
Yes 50%
No 43%

Best. Tom #711.

My interpretation of those numbers is that 2/3 of pilots want to (immediately or gradually) move to FAI rules (29% plus 37%)

Half want to have US rules be a separate entity (but not necessarily different) from FAI rules.

The RC has much finer grain analysis available.

QT,

If you do this 29% and 37% higher tech math "yes vote" which equals 66%,
then should you not add the other "no vote" parts of 67% and 59% which equal 126%?, which still gives us a greater "NO" vote?

Only 42% of those who cast the "whole sale" move responded on 5.2C.

Heck, I voted to make the AT TP smaller, as is used in the FAI rules, get rid of the cylinder and use a line with a MSH to start and a line to finish.

Of course, the CD should be able to make changes for what's "best" for that contest site.

Happy Snowflakes,

Best. Tom #711.

Uh, that would be a no on the math part. A "no" answer is only a no to the issue of fast or slow, not to FAI or not.