Old October 22nd 03, 03:37 PM
Gene Seibel

Yes it is SO cool. Took some friends to northern NM to check out a
hunting area a few years ago. It was on the side of a circular
mountain several miles in diameter. We had a strong wind that gave us
an updraft on the side we were inspecting. I discovered I could
throttle back to idle and zig-zag up the side without power. (making
my turns away from the mountain, of course) Once at the top I added
power, went over top and pulled away from the mountain to come around
and do it again. Spent quite some time 'gliding' up that mountain that
day.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

WOW!

Flying is just SO cool!

I took another Mount St. Helens flight Saturday at noontime. It's a
favorite around here with the folks who want to ride in a plane; first
choice.

So the route of flight was relatively pedestrian, since I've done it a
few times already, weather was pretty good, a nice broken layer at
12,000, with scattered stuff at 10,000 and, I learned, an AIRMET for
moderate turbulence in the region "below 15,000 feet".

We didn't notice any turbulence, so on the north side of the mountain
I called in a PIREP to say so.

What we *did* get, right abeam the dome and crater of the mountain,
was my very first strong mountain updraft. We gained 1000 feet in
*very* short order, and it was astounding how good it felt to ride it.

Of course, upon rounding the mountain we also caught a *down*draft,
which made me glad I didn't try to control altitude during the
unintended climb, that 1000 feet was gone just as fast as it came.

I wonder, from anyone who knows the region: is that a characteristic
of the area? I recall we had a southwesterly flow that day, with winds
aloft from the south at 20 knots or so. Any way to predict that
region?

If anyone is curious I'm happy to post the pictures we took of the
area.

Rob