Old August 23rd 04, 04:25 PM
Stan Prevost

"Dave Butler" wrote in message

I like Stan Prevost's list of things that can be delegated to a nonpilot
frequent passenger.

I was in a hurry when I made the other post and left out a few things. My
nonpilot spouse also handles passenger issues. We have a printed passenger
briefing, she makes sure they read and understand it. She helps them with
how to use the headsets, seatbelts, and doors, and our sterile cockpit
protocol. I give her guidance on seating for W&B, she works to that in
seating the passengers. I just verify with her that all that is completed.
She also handles in-flight passenger issues unless it is something that
requires PIC involvement. She handles any waivers that may be required,
such as for Angel Flight missions. She makes a pretty good flight attendant
also, serving snacks and drinks. Oh, and she also copies ATIS/AWOS/ASOS.

I just fly the airplane.

I agree with other posts about the risk to single-pilot proficiency in
handling the total workload, and I observe that from time-to-time when I fly
alone. But it is uncommon for me to fly without her (other than
instructional flights) or without another pilot with whom I have flown a
lot. I have not observed any problem with my wife accomodating to another
airplane. We normally fly a Saratoga, but also sometimes fly an Arrow or a
Cessna 182. She easily switches from one to another, it takes just a few
minutes to learn where things are on the panel. Even fixed gear vs
retractable gear has not been a problem, she asks before the flight how to
tell whether the gear is up or down.

This works for us, YMMV.

Stan