Old July 14th 03, 03:21 AM
Clay

Stefan "stefan"@mus. INVALID .ch wrote in message ...
Darrell wrote:

The presence of two attitude indicators is especially valuable when they
disagree. That disagreement will direct your attention to the needle/ball
and basic flight instruments to help determine which one is correct. With a
single AI you could more easily follow a gyro error without noticing a
difference in the other basic instruments until it was too late.

I don't understand this. Needle/ball is always included in my basic
scan. As a starting point on toubleshooting, they are more reliable than
the AI. Am I the only who knows this?

Stefan

Stefan, You have hit the nail on the head. BRAVO!!!!!!!
Many of the real good instrument pilots know that needle, ball,
airspeed are the three essentials to flying. These are the most
reliable instruments on the panel. Once these are mastered then the
rest of the instruments will just make things easy.
Too many of us have forgotten the basics or have just gotten lazy.
When is the last time you flew a true NDB approach? With loran, GPS,
LOC & glide slopes, and vectoring, insturment flying is not that
difficult.
During an ICC, have your instructor give you a real good partial panel
workout.
It is rare to loose a gyro but it happens. Many pilots have lost
their battle with gravity during IMC because they forgot the basics.
This is especially true after loosing a vac pump or electrical system.
Clay