Old November 23rd 04, 02:22 PM
SelwayKid

Default Power Off Touchdown Autorotation

Well it appears this board needs something to stir some activity. So,
let's talk about touchdown autorotations. Just like spins in the
phyxed wing world, there are those who argue for/against touchdown
autos.
I've been flying helicopters since the mid 60's and have done quite a
few touchdown autos in both practice and engine out, or mechanical,
for real. I've never bent a machine because of it. Been flying phyxed
wing since the late 50's, have done literally thousands of spins, and
never bent a machine doing them.
So, my question is, what ever happened to pilot skills to cope with
these very basic, and very real flight conditions? I have flown with a
number of instructors for both fw/rw who were nervous about doing
spins and touchdown autos. WHY????
I think its a lack of good training and practice. When no one wants to
do these maneuvers, how can they teach them? If no one practices them,
how can they stay sharp or current?
If there is an aircraft that is not safe for these maneuvers, should
they be allowed to be used for training?
While not rotor related, I saw a recent TV news blurb regarding a
pilot who propped his aircraft and it got away doing damage to several
other aircraft. I think that is also a lost art. Perhaps that is what
prompted my post here.
Long time people here will recognize me as crusty and opinionated with
credentials to back up my thinking.
The gauntlet is tossed down. Are you willing to pick it up and
challenge?
Rocky ATP CFII/RAM 22,000 hours doing lots of hair raising stuff