Old March 15th 04, 07:25 PM
Jim Doyle

"David Windhorst" wrote in message
What are some early examples of an air force facing hostile a/c
originally produced by its own country's aviation industry (whether they
were sold to a former friendly nation that then became an enemy, or were
captured a/c, or whatever)? The first case I can remember reading about
is during the Allied invasion of N. Africa, when P-36s flown by Vichy
French were encountered, but it seems there must have been previous
instances -- WWI, interwar, or earlier WWII.

I'm sure that British aircraft participated in the air war over Finland. The
Finnish Air Force definitely had a number of Bristol Blenheim Is and IVs,
Hawker Hurricanes and Gloster Gladiators. Whether these were still in
service by the time British aircraft made their way into the Russian
inventory, I'm really don't know.

Not exactly WWII or earlier, but the Argentineans operated Canberras during
the Falklands Conflict. Another thread includes a post that describes a
Harrier shooting one down.

Jim D