Old March 11th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Default Alternator whine

Best chance is an open diode in the rectifier bridge. There are a thousand
more automobile electrical repair shops than there are aviation electrical
repair shops, and the replacement parts are mostly the same.

I would NEVER suggest having an automobile shop work on an airplane part,
but I've got this friend Ernie ...

JIm

"Dave Anderer" wrote in message
I'm looking for advice to help shorten the trouble-shooting process here.

My Arrow has developed an alternator whine over the past few hours. It is
*barely, barely" noticable on both radios when receiving, but loud and
obnoxious (both to me and other aircraft) when transmitting. No doubt it
is the alternator - switching the alternator off fixes the problem.