Old March 13th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

Default Alternator whine

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
A coup'la questions & comments:

1. Why would you disconnect the battery to replace the alternator?

I suspect it was in an attempt to reseat all connections that could
contribute to the problem. I had already done this as well as "moving" all
of the alternator mounting bolts. I didn't try any magic juice, however.

2. One presumes certain basic troubleshooting procedures prior to
throwing parts at the problem, like back all heavy nuts grounding the
alternator, squirt in a little magic juice, and retighten.

I'll emphasize that I did my own diagnosis and concluded that it was an open
diode. I took it to the shop not to have them diagnose but to swap the
alternator - which they did quite well and it (or the process of doing it)
solved the problem.

Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK