Old January 31st 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

Default Short Wings Gliders

At 21:03 31 January 2009, Andreas Maurer wrote:

Not everyone is flying XC in my club every day.
First of all, you have to deduct 25 student pilots, resulting in about
60 licensed piltos who are alowed to go XC.

Of those, in 2008 22 pilots took part in XC-flying with club gliders,

Only 22 pilots? Now the numbers starts to make sense. What they actually
tell us is that your club gliders don't really fly all that much
cross-country. Which is fine, of course.

some reserving a glider for their vacatiuon or for a competition. We
reserved two gliders per day (two single seaters or one single seater
and one double seater) for XC.

Which also makes sense - about a quarter of the fleet flown XC by about a
quarter of your pilots. I would guess that our own club in Blairstown
does about that well with XC in club gliders, although our fleet looks
shabby indeed next to yours.

Jim Beckman