Old January 29th 20, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default PU finish in wave flying

My Stemme, finished in PU and 16 years old still has a perfect finish
except for chips and scratches.Â* I fly in wave quite often.

On 1/29/2020 9:24 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 11:16:57 AM UTC-5, Eric wrote:
Can anyone tell from experience how well a PU finish holds when flying in wave conditions, i.e. low temperatures & strong turbulence?
I'm considering to repaint my glider, remove old gelcoat apply T35 as filler polyurethane on top. Can I go wave-flying again with peace of mind? To what extent is a PU finish vulnerable to cracking due to change in temperature? There's tons of information on the refinish topic, but I couldn't find the answer to this particular question.

Thanks!

T35 is polyester "gelcoat". That is the stuff that cracks. I would remove all "gelcoat", fill and surface with thin layer of polyester spray filler, then paint in UU/PU.
Good luck
UH

--
Dan, 5J