Old January 29th 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default PU finish in wave flying

Eric wrote on 1/29/2020 8:16 AM:
Can anyone tell from experience how well a PU finish holds when flying in wave conditions, i.e. low temperatures & strong turbulence?
I'm considering to repaint my glider, remove old gelcoat apply T35 as filler polyurethane on top. Can I go wave-flying again with peace of mind? To what extent is a PU finish vulnerable to cracking due to change in temperature? There's tons of information on the refinish topic, but I couldn't find the answer to this particular question.

The Kiwis have used PU longer than most. Decades ago, they would order their
gliders with the thinnest gel coat the manufacturer (Schleicher, etc) would
provide, and without any sanding or or polishing. Then they'd sand and paint them
in PU to get a finish that would survive their frequent high and lengthy wave flights.

So, contact a Kiwi, get information, and report back!