Old December 22nd 04, 01:18 AM
Chuck

Following up on the follow up. Two days after replacing the battery,
it died again. Man, was my friend ****ed. This plane is used as a
trainer and flown a LOT.

The A&P pulled the cowl and when he looked at the alternator -- he
found the spring that holds the brushes against the stator sticking
out of the top and the hold-down screw gone.

They took the alternator out and back the the place that just rebuilt
it. I understand there were more than a few harsh words about shoddy
repairs, multiple tries, and loss of revenue. They (of course)
rebuilt it again and didn't charge for it.

It came back and was put in yesterday. This morning, he and I flew it
for 3.5 hours. No problems. HOPEFULLY this is the end of the power
problems.

Chuck

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:44:30 GMT, Chuck wrote:

A couple of people on here hit on what we think was the solution --
the battery.

Apparently, although not old, it had been discharged too many times
recently. We swapped the battery out today and then took it on a 2.7
hour ride. Everything worked perfectly.

So, although we don't know why the rebuilt alternator gave out so soon
after installation -- the ongoing problem after replacing it the
second time was the battery.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys...

Chuck